I thought I would post reflections on the book, Knowing God, by J.I. Packer which I wrote some years ago...hopefully a helpful reminder, particularly to me, of what the greatest goal should be.
p. 17, Knowing God - "The highest science…of a child of God, is the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings, and the existence of the great God whom he calls his Father.”
The first chapter of the book is called “The Study of God.” What is involved in the study of God, this “highest science” and “loftiest speculation?” This I find to be a loaded question. The name of God – how much is in a name! I AM, the LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob… The nature of God – loving, just, gracious, sovereign, holy, omnipotent... The person of God – the Trinity... The work of God – creation, salvation, sanctification… The doings of God and the existence of God… Even in thinking about these facets of God, I realize that putting God into a box is impossible. I need not ask why the study of God is the “highest science” of a child of God. Understanding the infinite breadth of the study of God, including the name, the nature, the person, the work, the doings, the existence of God, helps me to understand that the greatest study that I could ever engage in is the study of God. Who can know the mind of the Lord? I see more clearly how my purpose statement, which includes “to know God,” is what it should be. May we press on to know Him.
1 comment:
Thanks for encouragement. May we think on Him and study Him. What or who else is so worthy of my attention and affection? Love you!
Post a Comment